Monday, October 18, 2010

If it's not easy being green should you switch colors?



Apparently a group of celery farmers in Florida think so. Unveiling a new hybrid celery with bright red stalks (think beet greens or rutebega), Duda Farm Fresh Foods hopes they can spark the imaginations and appetites of eaters everywhere. Considering it took twenty years for them to develop this, I hope it works out for them, but I wonder how many people care about the color of their celery. I admit this red celery is quite attractive, but I typically used celery to build more flavor into a dish when I add my onions and garlic. I cannot imagine my stomach caring too much about the color of the celery if it really does taste the same. (It doesn't matter if a celery is black or white, as long as it catches mice, right)?

I admit to having a recent weakness for yellow tomatoes (but in my defense, they taste different than their red brethren), my head has been turned once or twice by purple cauliflower, and I always stare at white asparagus when I see it, but I never buy it ... so maybe I should not dismiss red celery out of hand.

What do you think? Would red celery make a difference to you? Have you ever had your curiosity peaked by a vegetable of another color?

No comments:

Post a Comment