Saturday, October 2, 2010

Maiden Voyage

This is a blog more about guilt than not about guilt. My first draft of this "maiden post" was full of high minded phrases like: "going greener," "environmental responsibility," "budget minded sustainable eating," "supporting local farms."

These are all perfectly respectable reasons to start a blog. When I began receiving bi-weekly deliveries of local produce I did intend to write about my adventures. But what finally made me put pen to paper (and later finger to keyboard) was guilt, not about the food I eat, but about the food I throw away. Vegetables arrive at my front porch crisp and lush, each piece representing hope and health. Putting each one away I congratulate my self one being one of the right sort of people who cares about what she eats and the impact of the money she spends. But of course a few too many perfectly fine items like rutabaga,fresh parsley, cucumbers and lettuce - oh the lettuce - see my front porch again far too soon when I carry them out to be composted.

[If we believe in alternate realities, than we have to suspect that one exists where there is a post office where humanoid looking lettuce wait to have their packages weighed and look at lettuce FBI wanted posters that bear photos of me - the lettuce version of Hannibal Lector]

Perfectly fine food smuggled to the compost bin or sometimes *gasp* the trash can, dumped like a body on your favorite crime show.

The act of buying local produce is often much easier than eating it. Imagining that I impress people around me by dropping names like sun choke, beauty heart radish, celeriac is so much easier than thinking differently about what I consume.

So this blog is a way to keep me honest as I Try To Eat At Home instead of picking up a sandwich or scarfing down potato wedges while food I already have languishes in the refrigerator. Please read, comment and otherwise support me. Here you will read my successes, failures and those in between times when I manage to snatch up success right before it swirls down the toilet, rinse it, cook it and eat it.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment